St Mark’s is a small, family style church in downtown Starke; the majority of parishioners have worshipped here for more than 20 years. We are a welcoming and friendly congregation, with no ‘reserved’ pews; in fact, we’re more likely to greet a newcomer and ask them to come sit with our family!
The roots of our congregation date back to 1863, and the present building was originally built in 1880 in the town of Fairbanks. When that church disbanded the building sat empty until purchased by the Starke congregation – disassembled and numbered board by board, shipped by rail to Starke – and reassembled! The cornerstone states “St Marks 1900” and it was completed and consecrated in 1902. Stained glass windows were added in the 30’ & 40’s, and many of the appointments date back to the early 1900’s.
A parish house was built in 1942, and opened as a Church Service Center for the soldiers at nearby Camp Blanding as a joint operation with the Presbyterians, providing a ‘home away from home’ throughout the war.
More recent additions include classrooms, conference space and an office. Between the conference room and the Parish Hall, various groups such as AA, our Men’s club, the ECW and others make use of the space regularly.